I love chocolate chip banana cakeeeeeeee! ^__^
cake is moist from the bananas, a bit rich from the butter and fills
your chocolate craving with loads of semi sweet chocolate chips. There's
not too much added sugar because the ripe bananas help to sweeten the
cake, and the spelt flour adds a teensy extra bit of "health" vibe to
this cake. I made it in a 9 x 12 inch rectangular pan but you could
easily use this recipe and make 2 dozen cake muffins, or a 2 layer 8
inch round cake for the banana cake lover (frost with chocolate ganache
or vanilla buttercream).
We vaporized this cake in two days and I'm awaiting some bananas to ripen so I can make it and vaporize it again!
SPELT FLOUR BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP CAKE
1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup loosely packed golden yellow sugar (or brown sugar)
1 egg, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 ripe bananas - medium/large in size
3 cups spelt flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups milk (i used 2% organic)
2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray with nonstick oil and line a 9 x 12 inch rectangular cake pan with parchment paper.
1. Using a stand mixer or handheld beaters, cream the butter on high speed in a large bowl for a minute or so.
2. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
3. On low speed, scraping down sides of bowl with spatula, add egg, peeled bananas and pure vanilla extract until incorporated.
4. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, salt and baking powder.
5. On low speed, alternate adding the flour mixture and the milk until all ingredients are incorporated (do not overmix)
6. Fold in chocolate chips (or throw em into the mixer if feeling lazy!)
in oven on middle rack for 25-30 minutes, depending on how hot your
oven gets. Turn pan halfway through. Check cake after 20 minutes and
every few minutes thereafter. (I hate an overdone cake!) Cake is
finished when a clean toothpick inserted in middle come out clean.
Originally published on Poppytalk